Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Today

What's so special about today?

Well, I made it.  You did too.  There are many who didn't.  We should be so grateful.

I've had this brewing in my spirit for a while, and today is the perfect day to release it.

It doesn't matter what storm surrounds you.  Whatever the wind that threatens to uproot you, the rain that threatens to drown you, or the thunder that catches you unaware...  There is One who protects, provides, and comforts you if you allow Him to.

Right now, our storm is financial.  It seems like a hurricane right now, but in retrospect, I'll smile and see how the Lord made a way and sheltered us through it all.  I refuse to see the swells approaching, feel the wind stinging my face, or hear the thunder vibrate into what seems to be the very core of me.  I will not be shaken.

See, I learned this lesson a long time ago.  Satan, the devil, the adversary, however you prefer to refer to him... he is a roaring lion, seeking to devour.  I'm sure you've heard the scripture many times before.  Well, he doesn't come obviously strutting about in a red suit with horns and a pointy tail.  He masks himself in light and familiar things.  Thoughts. 

Ever had some random thought come into your head that made you uneasy after dwelling on it?  Or maybe you just acted on it and the result wasn't so great?  Don't take me for one of those who believes he is everywhere or that demons have such great power.  I don't give him the credit.  But I do warn you to renew your minds daily through the Word.  The adversary's success depends on your gullibility and lack of familiarity with the Word and its Author.

Another mnemonic that I use to remind myself of this concept and that the just shall live by faith...     F.E.A.R.  is False Evidence Appearing Real.  Fear is the opposite of Faith.  We fear because we see our circumstances and believe them, rather than trusting in the Lord Jesus Christ to be faithful to us.  Have you ever noticed that in the bible, it is not our faith that we depend on?  We are given the faith of Jesus Christ! We just have to employ it. 

See, in Romans Chapter 3 (a really awesome chapter that lays out the basic tenets of Christianity), we are given this truth.  I like to read in King James Version, but study by NASB and the Amplified for clarity and expansion.  I'll post 3:22 here, but read the whole chapter for encouragement: 

"Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:"- KJV
"Namely, the righteousness of God which comes by believing with personal trust and confident reliance on Jesus Christ (the Messiah). [And it is meant] for all who believe. For there is no distinction,"-Amplified
"even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those [a]who believe; for there is no distinction;"- NASB

 So the measure of faith that each one of us is given is the faith of Jesus Christ!  So, you may be wondering, well what could I possibly be doing to mess this up?  I've wondered it myself.  We are shown in Matthew 13:31,32 after Jesus spoke of the parables of the seed and the sower.  

"Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field: 
Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof."-KJV

Get this:
"And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you."- Matthew 17:20 KJV
"He said to them, Because of the littleness of your faith [that is, your lack of [a]firmly relying trust]. For truly I say to you, if you have faith [[b]that is living] like a grain of mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, Move from here to yonder place, and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you."- Amplified

NOWHERE does it ever say "faith the size of a grain of mustard seed."  Faith AS a mustard seed.  The Amplified looks at the original Greek to expound.  Faith that is living.  So faith is given to us, and we are expected to grow it!  How?

Romans 10:17
"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."

It's just that simple! Read the Bible, speak it out loud, listen to it on audio books, but GROW your FAITH!

If the just are to live by faith, I don't think it's going to do if it stays the initial size of the mustard seed.  Nothing can take refuge in its branches if it's a seed.

I need to return to the level I was once at in my relationship with Christ.  That's one thing I will be working on this summer before we welcome Abbigail Hope.  I do better with accountability, and if you want, I can help you too!

In light of this, I have decided to compile a list of things, but not a "bucket list."  A bucket list, to me anyway, speaks of trying to fit in so many things before death.  My list will focus on life and how I want to live it.  I don't know how much of it I have left, but I know I want to embrace it.  I want my little girl to grow up in a home that is brimming with life, love, and laughter.

I think I'll make this list like a daily goal.  As in, no matter what else I do or don't accomplish each day, these items will be my pillars that support the rest and provide the framework to build on for each day.

Here are a few thoughts on how I'll start.  I'll add more over time.
1) Read a personal devotion and have prayer time with just me and the Lord.  No time limits.  Pretty sure I don't place anyone else on a timer.  It doesn't have to be all in one setting, but can be throughout the day.
2) Profess aloud several selected verses that I claim for myself and my family.
3) Be mindful of my speech and actions;  if my daughter is going to learn from me, this is imperative.
4) Read the Bible as a family in the evening.  Right now, Abbi can hear even if it's muffled.  We'll start her training before she gets here so it's not such an adjustment after.  And Chris and I figured out that the evening works better for us to sit down together. 
5) Let go.  Forget being so anal over everything.  Clean dishes and clean underwear are always a good start.  Everything else can normally wait.

What ideas would you add?  Maybe your own list if you care to share?  And who wants to help me be accountable?  

Graphic from faithlovejoyhope.wordpress.com

And a funny for good measure...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment