Thursday, August 22, 2013

First Fall Clinical

Scared to death. "Can I pretend I slept through the alarms?" No, self, you're stronger than that.

OMG, I'm going to toss my cookies.  "Calm down. It will be fine." *Runs to bathroom.*

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Repeat to self 47 times.

And this was at 5 AM, before I started getting ready.  I managed to iron my uniform, grab a water and all my clinical supplies, and head out the door.  I arrived on the unit, and ran to the bathroom right after I put my bag down.  (The limbic system is responsible for stress related GI issues.  Mine has a very active sense of responsibility.)

After getting that handled, I went to look up med administration times and order changes for my patient, nervous that he would have been discharged by the time I arrived this morning. (If any of you know me, it's a running joke that I can't keep a patient.  I have not once ever had a patient for the entire duration of shift.)  I received report, gave report to my instructor, and went to my patient's room, cringing the entire time it took me to open the door to the room.

I went in, introduced myself, and started the assessment... and I realized, I was fine.  My fear had melted away, and I was confident.  I can and I will do this.  And I did.  I completed the assessment, charted vitals, gave meds (and on time, I might add), gave a bath, and so many other things!  And I didn't feel stupid or incompetent.  The primary nurse was great, and allowed me autonomy, but she was there if I needed her.  My instructor was awesome, and peeked in occasionally.  I stayed busy the entire morning, and I gave my patient the best care I possibly could.  This nurse thing is me. 

Our group went to lunch, and when we returned, my patient had orders to be discharged.  Of course. :)

But... it made me so happy because I got to d/c my first (real) IV! 

And at the end of the day, my primary nurse and my patient thanked me and told me I provided excellent care.  Excellent!


Because real nurses skip around with med trays. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment